Friday, January 20, 2017

Carve the Mark

Carve the Mark
Carve the Mark is the newest tome by Veronica Roth.  I was terribly excited to read this book- especially when I found it accidentally displayed a week early!  

This story follows the stories of Akos and Cyra- two teens in a galaxy defined by the "current" and the unique currentgifts (powers) of each person.  In the first few chapters of the novel we get a glimpse into the childhoods of each character, learning about the moments they receive their currentgifts.  Cyra's gift is defined by pain.  This pain affects not only her, but also those she interacts with- making her a tool for her tyrant brother.  Akos's gift is complementary to Cyra's, but that is a surprise I will leave for readers.  

As we jump into the present day, the story shifts to how these powers will bring Cyra and Akos together even though they are from rival nations.  It is up to them to decide if their differences are too great to overcome.  

I enjoyed this book, but not as much as I had hoped.  I don't know if I was let down by my own Divergent-loving heart and high expectations or if it was really just not amazing.  Nonetheless, I would still recommend it to others.  I give it an optimistic 4 out of 5 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment